Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Belgium

There are a number of seminarians from the dioceses of Wisconsin who study at the American College in Louvain, Belgium. Every year after exams, the men from Wisconsin studying in Rome are invited to spend a weekend in Louvain with their Wisconsin brothers in Belgium. The following pictures were taken throughout the 4 days I spent in Belgium:



The Catholic Cathedral in Brussels.


Apparently Belgium is known for its mussels. This was something that I was NOT aware of. Being a mussel-lover myself, I had to try them. Even though they were not 'in season,' they were splendid indeed!


The touristy, but colorful restaurant district in Brussels. The restaurant workers try to lure in Americans by yelling "Americano, Americano." I didn't fall for it.


Leonidas chocolate store!


This is a replica of a famous statue in Brussels. There are many legends associated with the statue but the one I was told says that the Duke lost his son, and while searching for him, promised to erect a statue of his son doing exactly what he was doing when the Duke found him. Needless to say, the kid was relieving himself. This is a chocolate replica of the statue made by a local chocolate vendor.



Some of the beautiful architecture in the town square in Brussels (above and below).




A scenic part of Louvain - tucked away in a large park on the outskirts of the city.


The best duck I ever had at our Wisconsin dinner.


More from the large park in Louvain.


The river running through the city center of Louvain.


Louvain's basilica.


Architecture from Louvain's town square.



A beautiful church just down the street from the seminary in Louvain.


Friday morning I scoured the city for a quaint little cafe where I could read my book with a cup of coffee. This is what I found. What could be better than a good book, a cup of hot coffee, and a multi-grain bagel with pesto, mozzarella, lettuce, and sun-dried tomatoes? In Louvain! There came a point while I was sitting in this cafe, looking out the window at the students walking to and from classes, when I just had to stop and realize the goodness of God. How could something so simple as a good book and a small breakfast be so beautiful? I thanked God profusely for that moment.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!
    Next entry?
    No pressure . . .
    Love,
    Tinna

    ReplyDelete